Many people ask me questions about all kinds of things and some seek advice and guidance but today i'd like to ask you all to remember to listen. When your friend wants to ask your advice about something are they just wanting you to agree with their decided opinion? Is your work colleague relating an experience or asking for advice on how they should have handled it?
We can sometimes get too drawn into the situation of offering our advice when it isn't needed. Be there for all who need you but engage in the conversation by listening to their real needs.
Are you practising listening ?
Steps to help :
- Focus on what the individual is saying, give them your full attention.
- Listen to and identify the words they are using.
- Do they pause for you to answer?
If they are just getting something off their chest, the steps below may help you.
- Give positive feedback and steer them away from negative words/phrases.
- Help them see your side/other side of the conversation.
- Ask them clarifying questions.
- Be helpful and positive in your guidance.